FAQ about Teacher Training Courses

What is the difference between TESL, TESOL and TEFL?

The simple answer is that they are often used interchangeably. However, sometimes the following distinction is made although it may vary from country to country:

  • TESL = Teaching English as a Second Language. This term refers to teaching English in countries such as Canada, the US, Australia, etc., where English is the language used in the community.
  • TEFL = Teaching English as a Foreign Language. This term refers to teaching English in countries such as Korea, Spain, Brazil, etc., where English is not the language most commonly used in the community.
  • TESOL = Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. This is a newer, umbrella term that encompasses both English and non-English speaking countries.

>>>Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESL

There are many other acronyms used for teaching English which you may come across, for example:

  • ELT   = English Language Teaching
  • TEAL = Teaching English as an Additional Language
  • EAP   = English for Academic Purposes
  • ESP   = English for Specific Purpose

What is the difference between IHC and CELTA?

They are very similar and actually share the same origins. On either course you will follow a similar course of study and syllabus and receive similar standards of training. Both courses have high expectations and require trainees to attain a set standard.

The main differences are:

  • The CELTA is considered a global gold standard for initial English Language Teaching certificates. It is awarded through one of the most famous universities in the world and strict standards are set for all centres running CELTA courses. In order to maintain these standards, CELTA is moderated by Cambridge English and every course has a Cambridge-approved assessor visit to ensure the grading and quality of the course. This IHC does not currently have this level of external moderation. This extra element is one important factor in CELTA courses having higher tuition fees.
  • The IHC can be used for teaching languages other than English when combined with the additional relevant teaching practicum, whereas the ‘E’ in CELTA means it is only for English (see below for further details).The entry requirements for CELTA are slightly stricter in relation to candidate selection in terms of English language proficiency (please see Course Overview Table for details https://ihcareercollege.com/teachertraining/)
  • It is important to remember that doing any teacher training with International House, either the CELTA or IHC, will ensure a high quality course.

Why is it called the IHC in TESL?

We use the term TESL as the governing body for recognizing English Teaching programs in Canada is TESL Canada (www.tesl.ca). TESL can be considered to be the most standard term in Canada. At other International House Locations, the certificate is often referred to as the IHCTL (International House Certificate in Teaching Languages).

Is the IHC only for teaching English?

No.  As noted above, the IHC can be used for teaching any language.  At IH Career College, we offer the IHC in English but it is very easy to add other languages to your certificate. For example, if you are a native or fluent Chinese (Mandarin) speaker, you can do a short practicum at one of our Chinese teacher training centres (Xi’an or Qingdao) to have Chinese teaching added to your certificate.

Is the CELTA and IHC only for native speakers?

No.  Both courses are open to native and non-native speaker candidates. However, non-native speakers must meet English language requirements during both the application stage and the course itself. For details regarding the different requirements for each course, please see the Course Overview Table https://ihcareercollege.com/teachertraining/ .

Do I need a university degree to take the course?

No.  Minimum entry requirements are a high school diploma and a minimum 20 years of age. However, you will need a degree if you wish to apply to TESL Canada for professional certification.

How many other students are in class with me?

We maintain a ratio of six trainees for every teacher trainer. Therefore, if we have two trainers on the course (which is typical), the maximum number of trainees is twelve. All trainees receive the input sessions together before splitting into smaller groups for teaching practice.

How do I apply?

The first step is download and complete the relevant application form which can be found in the Book now section of the website.  We will contact you to arrange a follow-up interview.

What is the registration deadline?

There are no set registration deadlines. However, once a course is full, we will only accept registrations onto a waiting list.  To ensure a place is saved on a course, candidates should pay the relevant deposit fee.

FAQ about Business and Hospitality Courses

Who are these courses for?

These courses are suitable for candidates with no or very little experience in Customer Service, Business or Hospitality. They can also have value for people wishing to gain experience in an English-language work environment.

Why are the courses interesting for candidates that are new to Canada?

The courses help to improve cultural knowledge and further develop linguistic proficiency needed to work in North America.

What is the minimum level of English required to start a Business or Hospitality Course?

Lower Intermediate (IELTS 4.0) for the Business Essentials and the Customer Service Course, Mid Intermediate (IELTS 5.0) for the Hospitality and Hotel Management Course.

How will my level be assessed?

Once we receive the application form you will be contacted by an IH Career College representative. If you don’t have an official English test result (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL) to demonstrate your current level of English, you will be asked to do our English Online Test.
After we receive the result from one of these tests you will be asked to conduct an interview (usually by skype) with our Academic Coordinator.

What should I do if my English level is not high enough?

Our sister company IH Vancouver offers English language courses all year round of various duration and intensity. Depending on your level of English we will advise you about how many weeks of General English class would be needed to reach the minimum level.

When can I start the course?

Intake is every 4 weeks. Please refer to the website for starting dates.

As an international student, do I need a study permit to study in one of these programs?

As most of these courses include a co-op (work component) or are longer than 6 months (e.g. Hotel Management course without co-op) you will have to apply for a study permit with a work authorization for the co-op portion of your program. Please check requirements with the Canadian Embassy in your country.

Am I allowed to work while I am doing the course?

Students in one of these courses with a valid study and work permit are eligible to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during the study period.

How many students are in class with me?

The maximum number of students is 16. On average there are 8 to 12 students in class.